Monday, March 8, 2010

Skies Like Us


Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. 
-Rabindranath Tagore

It's been raining here the last two days, something I've missed quite a bit!

Nothing happens in St. Kitts when it rains, nothing gets done (well less than usual gets done) and the locals largely spend their time indoors.  When it's raining on the island I imagine that most Oregonians would feel like Edmund Hillary or Tenzing Norgay here: everyone goes running for cover, and the Oregonian would trudge along happily with naught a care in the world!

Tenzing Norgay = YOU in St. Kitts when it rains

We'll go through a little tour of the house when it is raining, this blog could probably use something a little more conventional...

View from the front yard, raining

View to the south of the ocean

Lawn chair in the front yard: classy


Looking in the backyard: mango, avocado, and juju berry trees to the left.

I've been looking forward to the HBO miniseries The Pacific which details various battles in the Pacific theater of World War II.  It's going to be filmed in the same tradition of Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers and so I think that the theater will be represented dutifully.  Check it out if you get a chance!

2 comments:

  1. Good post. I LIKE it. A+

    Luuuurve you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I could actually make it through this one! Congrats! My mom has told me that many traditional Caribbeans believe that the rain carries with it some sort of "evil," which makes sense, as rain indirectly breeds moquitoes, in turn causing malaria. So BAM.

    ReplyDelete