Thursday, May 6, 2010

Things have been a little crazy around here lately, and I have not written for a specific reason for which I'll get into later...

Laura had been hard at work threeish weeks ago when I stopped posting.  She was studying hard for finals and I was trying my best to keep up and make sure that her life outside of school was as easy as possible.  She passed all her exams (thankyouverymuch) and has been enjoying a relaxing last few weeks chilling out on the beach and staying as far away from campus as possible.  Laura's mom also dropped by for a bit and took in all that was St. Kitts, and I hope enjoyed herself.  

It was during her visit that things got a little weird:

There was a cruise ship that was stationed here for a few days, which is odd since cruise ships normally don't stay in port for more than a day.  It was small, and its uniqueness led Laura's mom to investigate further into the little ship that was docked here for a week.  So she got online and searched for the name of the boat, "Freewinds".



This search took her to the nearest available wikipedia page found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freewinds

Evidently, this boat has ties to the Church of Scientology, and it is here on this boat that high-ranking members of the church go to train to be better Scientologists.  I don't know how many of you are familiar with Scientology, but I think a good place to start would be the heavily moderated Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

Members of the church spend a good deal of hard-earned cash to become more advanced members of the religion, which I think is a ludicrously preposterous concept.  At the upper echelons of the religion members literally spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to "level-up" (my term not theirs), on the "Freewinds" especially (do you italicize or put in quotes the name of a ship?  I'll look it up later, I suppose) there are many very high levelled members of the church at a time.

Let's just say--if you didn't read the article or do any other research before reading this entry-- there was a particularly high concentration of batshit crazy people on St. Kitts for a while.

I waited to post this for a number of reasons, as I was afraid some present Scientologists would by some way find this blog and decide to straighten me out, this happens with members from time to time.  Also, the church is infamously and notoriously litigious; I figure my chances were better waiting a tick before I posted anything about them.  Probably overly paranoid, but no reason not to be cautious.

Also, and perhaps weirder than having a crapload of OT8s here, (yes that is theactual name of their level) is I recently ran a sub 6 minute mile.  Weird.

Let's look at some chosen at random pictures!

Really cute newborn sheep (tail down)

An artistic statue at the Nevis Botanical Gardens.  What?  It's Artistic!

Being branded by Dave, our Volleyball 2nd in command.  

Pretty flower found on Nevis (my mom took this one)

2 comments: